What are the most affordable areas in Orlando, Florida?
Picture it, Orlando 2020. The world gets turned upside down and people across the country are asked to work from home. These wild circumstances forced people to take a hard look at their priorities and current lifestyle. This caused many homeowners to search for a place where the sunshine is infinite and there’s plenty of magic to lift their spirits.
Loads of people flocked to Florida to fulfill their dreams of living next door to Disney World. I should know because I did the same thing. I bid farewell to the dreary weather of Seattle and made my way to the most magical place on Earth.
Florida certainly grew in popularity in the last two years which drove up prices in many neighborhoods. However, Orlando’s influx of residents didn’t make the city completely unaffordable. (For comparison, San Francisco and Seattle allowed colossal tech companies to move to the area which made the cost of living astronomically high in both cities. Orlando’s circumstances are not the same.) There are many areas near Orlando that keep home prices at a reasonable rate.
You just have to know where to find the areas that are both affordable and within driving distance of Disney World.
This is where I can help! I’m a local Orlando Realtor and full-time theme park enthusiast. (Find all of my theme park and Orlando videos and tips on YouTube here!) As I said, I once dreamed of living near Disney World and recently purchased a home in Orlando.
Since the move, there are a few areas I refer to Buyers if their budget is tight.
Disclaimer: The word “affordable” is subjective to each person reading this article. The areas I’ve chosen are less expensive in comparison to other places near Disney World.
Further, the data below is pulled directly from the Florida MLS. The median home prices incorporate all residential real estate including single-family homes, condos, and townhouses. For pricing and financial information on specific homes and areas, email me at email@example.com.
Let’s get started with the 5 most affordable areas to buy a home near Disney World!
People have been flocking to Clermont in the last few years. It’s not too far from central Orlando and the traffic isn’t too bad. Despite its growing popularity, the homes are still fairly affordable. (I advise taking advantage of its affordability before it gets too popular!) The city has a charming downtown area with pubs and restaurants. And, like most areas near Orlando, there is plenty of wildlife and outdoor activities nearby.
Things to Do Near Clermont
- Showcase of Citrus – Beloved roadside attraction complete with fresh Florida oranges and hayrides! Visiting the Showcase Citrus is certainly the most “Florida” thing you can possibly do.
- Lakeridge Winery & Vineyards – 127 acres of vineyard to explore and wine tastings galore! This little wine oasis is a great alternative to visiting a busy theme park.
- Clermont Brewing Company – The full-size brewery has a huge selection of beer, pub food, and fun local entertainment! It’s one of our favorite local digs and it’s always a total blast.
Clermont Median Home Prices (As of September 2022)
Clermont is an area that is fairly “up-and-coming.” The city has been getting some attention because Buyers tend to get a bigger bang for their buck. It’s possible to find a home with more amenities and space at a lower price point here.
One of the best ways to find up-and-coming areas is to look for new construction communities. Most new construction communities are located in areas that have less expensive land and plenty of space to expand. This is why you’ll see a lot of new communities north and south of Orlando. New communities in central Orlando (if there are any) will be much more expensive and smaller. Kissimmee is one of the areas where new construction homes and communities have been developing consistently in the last few years.
Things to Do Near Kissimmee
- Celebration – Celebration is a master-planned community, originally developed by the Walt Disney Company in the 90s. The company no longer has control over the community but it still holds a lot of Disney charm. You don’t need to buy an expensive Celebration home to enjoy what it has to offer. (Most of the homes are rather outdated anyway.) Visit the Downtown Diner for brunch then head to the Sunday farmer’s market!
- Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center – This massive resort hosts a plethora of things to do for visitors and residents alike. You can dine at one of the many restaurants, take a spa day, or purchase a day pass to play in the small waterpark. Be sure to catch “ICE!” the Christmas experience that boasts life-size ice sculptures and indoor winter fun!
- Old Town USA – Off highway 192 is a small “town” complete with old-school amusement park rides and kitschy shops. Every Saturday, Old Town hosts a classic car cruise where drivers show off their hot rods. This place is cheesy, slightly run-down, and beloved by many Floridians!
Kissimmee Median Home Prices (As of September 2022)
Kissimmee is a coveted area where new construction has been popping up everywhere. It doesn’t seem to stop growing in this pocket of Orlando! Those of you seeking a new home near the most magical place on Earth should take a look at Kissimmee!
Davenport is another area that recently exploded with new construction and hence, new residents. It’s now the go-to city for folks who want to live near Disney World. The city is about 20 minutes from the theme parks and more affordable than other places near central Orlando.
Also, there are a ton of resort-style communities in Davenport that offer snowbirds a place to visit during the winter months. Many of these snowbirds rent out their homes on Airbnb while they are out of town. It’s a popular idea since many people book Airbnbs when visiting Disney World!
Things to Do Near Davenport
- ChampionsGate – This huge master-planned community is placed on an 18-hole golf course available to the public. Golfing not your thing? You can also hit up the local Four Corners Tavern. The restaurant and bar have some of the tastiest barbecue in Orlando!
- Margaritaville Resort – Squished between Davenport and Disney World is West Irlo Bronson. The highway has attracted loads of restaurants, shopping, and the new Margaritaville Resort. For a pretty penny, you can purchase a resort cottage and be on permanent vacation. Or, you can visit the spa and restaurants for the day. Be sure to visit the nearby Sunset Walk for more food and entertainment!
- Reunion Resort & Golf Club – Reunion is the competing community near ChampionsGate. You can buy a home here or just visit the resort and golf club. The hidden gem at Reunion is a bar called Eleven. The rooftop bar gives you nightly entertainment and sweeping views. Plan accordingly and you might catch the Magic Kingdom fireworks!
Davenport Median Home Prices (As of September 2022)
Davenport Median Home Prices | Source: Florida MLS
Caveat: The traffic is really rough in this area. The exit leading to ChampionsGate is constantly backed up due to the significant influx of homes and people. The good news is that the city is building more freeway lanes and alternative routes. Hopefully, this will clear up some of the congestion in the near future!
Another master-planned community to note is Hunters Creek. (By the way, a “master-planned community” is basically a city without the official title. There are a lot of these in Florida!) The area is becoming more popular as the neighboring city of Kissimmee expands. Out in Hunters Creek, you’ll find it’s fairly quiet and affordable without being too far from the theme parks. The community/area/faux-city is full of nice HOA communities and hosts neighbor-friendly events throughout the year.
- Gatorland – It’s a common misconception that Florida is packed with alligators. Yes, there are a lot of alligators in Florida. No, they don’t chase you down the sidewalk or crawl into your bed at night. You can find them in abundance at Gatorland. This corny attraction is where you can feed gators and take a tour of the grounds with animal experts. It’s a Florida right of passage to visit this place!
- SeaWorld and Universal Orlando – Many people move to Orlando for Disney World. Live here long enough and you will learn to love other theme parks like Universal Orlando and SeaWorld. Both of these theme parks are very close to Hunters Creek and a little more affordable. An Annual Pass at SeaWorld is a fraction of the cost in comparison to Disney World!
- Everything in Kissimmee – Hunters Creek bumps right into Kissimmee. This means you can enjoy everything the neighboring city has to offer!
You should also check out neighboring cities near Kissimmee and Hunters Creek. The east side of Orlando offers pockets of affordable places like Williamsburg.
There’s a little city sandwiched between the expensive Winter Garden and the less-than-desirable Pine Hills. Ocoee is growing in popularity because it’s near the favored areas and housing prices aren’t too outrageous. It’s located north of all the theme parks so you don’t run into a ton of traffic either. You will have more options within your budget and the location is a plus!
Things to Do Near Ocoee
- Winter Garden – This highly sought-after area has become very expensive in the last few years. That’s what makes Winter Garden a wonderful place to visit! It’s also why I listed it as the only bullet point…there’s so much to do here! There is a local theater, tasty bakeries, vintage shops, breweries, and award-winning restaurants located in Winter Garden. Relocating to Ocoee means you’ll be close to the most charming place in Orlando!
Ocoee Median Home Prices (As of September 2022)
Ok, that was a lot of information, right? I know it can feel very scary to purchase a home. Real estate is an ever-changing industry and it’s hard to predict the future housing market. Financial experts can give their best guesses as to what comes next, but they don’t have crystal balls. That said, you need a team of people on your side to help you navigate purchasing a home in any market.
The first team member should be an awesome local lender who works diligently for their Buyers. Most big banks (like Bank of America) and huge home loan corporations (like Rocket Mortgage) will not give you the service you need to close on a home. Your Realtor should have connections with lenders who will help you get through the process as smoothly as possible.
Speaking of! Your second team member should be a rockstar Realtor. Someone who has local market knowledge and preferably works full-time in real estate. It’s very easy to get a real estate license so you need someone who is a professional and takes the work seriously.
Personally, I have experience in both new construction and residential real estate in the greater Orlando area. I would be happy to work with you and find your dream home! All you have to do is click here or fill out the form below and I’ll reach out to you as soon as possible. You can also send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to subscribe to my YouTube channel here!
Ready to get started? Fill out the form below and I’ll send you the Keys to Your Kingdom Homebuyer’s Guide. It’s totally free and full of expert insight regarding buying a home in Orlando. Let’s find you a home!
Leave a Reply